Author Topic: Introduction to this Subforum  (Read 3089 times)

Matt Koeske

• Management
    • Useless Science
Introduction to this Subforum
« on: January 14, 2008, 04:45:51 PM »

I started this subforum in order to help focus our discussions regarding what to do with Jungianism.  It's an issue that some of us have been discussing intensely since before this website was established.  It seemed to me that there is a communal feeling (beyond Useless Science, that is) that Jungianism has fallen upon hard times.  Imagining Jungianism to be a patient seeking therapy, we might say that it has stumbled into its own "midlife crisis" or a dissociation in which its instinctual drives have ceased to support its conscious aims. 

That results in a depression, and this depression will persist so long as the conscious and unconscious of the patient are in conflict.  I'd like to put Jungianism on the couch and attempt to both understand its complexes (analyze it) and try to work toward an effective treatment (heal it, if only in the abstract sense).

My hope is that posts in this subforum will seek to maintain a "therapeutic attitude" rather than assail and condemn Jungianism unconstructively.  Criticism of Jungianism's failures are absolutely welcome.  Let's imagine it as a tough and well-seasoned analysand (one who knows the jargon and the process every bit as well as the analyst does).  But let's also imagine it as an individual who has paid us a lot of money to try to help it  ;D.  Our criticism needs to have integrity and our intentions need to be constructive.

I posted a rambling essayistic sort of thing that was an offshoot of a conversation from another area of the forum and is oriented toward my hope that Useless Science or some other manifestation of the Jungian lay community could end up having a therapeutic effect on Jungianism as a whole.  Any replies to that are certainly welcome, but please feel free to start your own new topics here with new and different questions, criticism, or suggestions.

And, let's, of course, remind ourselves (in quintessential Jungian fashion) that we do not already understand Jungianism's complexes.  We do not have the necessary medicine already sitting on our shelves (or the necessary gospel to preach from).  As analysts in this forum, we would do well to forget our previous analytical assumptions and let the patient's unconscious point us in the right direction.

Of course, more theoretical discussion or discussion of how to proceed in such an analysis is also welcome.

Good luck!

-Matt
You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way.

[Bob Dylan,"Mississippi]