Author Topic: The ontology of the archetype  (Read 3963 times)

Matswin

• Known Members
    • Articles on depth psychology and more...
The ontology of the archetype
« on: August 07, 2012, 12:58:12 PM »
I have updated my article "The animistic archetypal nature of the unconscious" (here). It concerns the problem of the ontology of the archetype. I propose an "unconscious theism" and posit an unconscious psychic God, in lieu of a transcendental spiritual God. The objective psyche is an autonomous reality on a par with physical reality. The archetype, as such, needn't be defined in physical terms, since the psychic substratum in which it resides is permanent. The archetype is not a metaphysical imprint, nor is it defined by brain structure, or epigenetics, etc. The archetype evolves in an unconscious process of 'complementation'. If we venture into deep unconsciousness, at some instance we must pass the border of the godhead. If correct, this is the 'unio mystica' of the Christian complentatives. At this level of psyche the archetypes are undergoing a slow process of formulation. They are not metaphysical imprints, but products of slow but powerful ideation.

Mats Winther

Matswin

• Known Members
Re: The ontology of the archetype
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 12:19:35 AM »
This is really Jung's godhead, I believe, although he did not want to emphasize it, because it would make him look unscientific. In speaking of God, who vastly surpasses "me", the ego is deflated. What
adds to the mental illness of today's collective is the inflationary consequences of a lost relation to God. This is a deity that is "closer" than its complementary, namely the trinitarian deity. It makes more rational sense, and would better suit modern people. Is it an alternative theological model of God, or is it the complement of the transcendent deity? I don't know. But this unconscious God seems to correspond to the "worldly self of completeness" in my complementarian model of the self:
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73784/compself.htm

Mats Winther

flowerbells

• Known Members
    • A Jungian Blog for You and Me
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 01:42:44 AM »
Mats, Thank you for your posts and links here.   I'm curious about your use of the word "complentatives"  in your first post.  I've heard of early Christian contemplatives, but not complentatives.  Could you please explain?

Matswin

• Known Members
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 03:39:25 AM »
I seem to have invented a new word. I meant contemplatives. I have argued that the alchemical process, often denoted as 'circular distillation', signifies an unconscious process of complementation. It deviates moderately from the traditional Jungian understanding (see my article here). In this process the unconscious self is being concocted, mostly passively aided by consciousness. But it would only cause confusion to use the word "complentatives" for the mystics devoted to the discipline of complementation.

Yesterday I added a discussion about "the subtle body" and "lucid dreams". The latter have received much attention among modern mystics. I discuss the meaning of them, as I don't think the lucid dream state has much value in itself.
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73784/animism.htm

Mats Winther