Author Topic: Jungian Self Concept & Inflation  (Read 2760 times)

Matt Koeske

• Management
    • Useless Science
Jungian Self Concept & Inflation
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:06:42 PM »
I am transferring this quote from Mats Winther from the introduction topic for member Rebis in case anyone would like to discuss the subject further.

-Matt

[...] My feeling is that modern Jungianisms struggle to relate to the autonomous psyche as Other.  Jungians "know" the psyche now, so they no longer need to investigate it. I see that as delusional and egotistically self-serving . . . not to mention intellectually irresponsible and at times even unethical.  The core of the Jungian project, in my view, was (and should be) the valuated objectification of the psyche . . . as opposed to the claim to "speak for" it or "know" it [...]
(Welcome Rebis!) Matt, I think that the Jungian view of the self as "The One Complete Wholeness", promotes ego-inflation, which is a problem that Jung keeps returning to. As a consequence certain Jungians have a tendency of projecting narcissism on others. But I suggest it is really the image of their own inflated ego, which they think is "complete". Some Jungians even think they have the right to be evil, because evil belongs in a complete psyche. Thus they have "integrated the shadow", they think, which is a huge misunderstanding. Isn't there something pompous and extravagant about the Jungian Self? To me it relates the image of wealthy sheik living in an alabaster palace with a harem. What about the ideal of modesty, meekness, and frugality, which has been so important, not only in Christian history? Jung, of course, realizes that his Self model is utterly self-contradictory and paradoxical. But then it is a generator of neurosis rather than wholeness, as it creates tension which threatens to break the ego apart. But the Self ought to have a healing influence. I don't mean to throw the child out with the bathwater, but something is amiss. I don't know if my model can remedy the situation, but at least it's a try: The Complementarian Self.

Mats Winther
You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way.

[Bob Dylan,"Mississippi]

Matswin

• Known Members
    • Articles on depth psychology and more...
Re: Jungian Self Concept & Inflation
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »
The Dark Shadow Of The Quaternity

~ A critique of the Jungian unitarian Self ~

Abstract: In his 1925 seminar, Carl Jung accounts for a crucifixion fantasy where he takes the appearance of a pagan deity. The article argues that Jung misinterprets this and other motives. Jung's unitarian model of the human self harbours a multitude of opposites, which are disconsonant, such as unmixable pagan and Christian elements. The resultant self ideal is overblown and therefore unhealthy. These elements ought to be separated into two spiritual realms, an upper and a lower, and the model of the self ought to mirror this bipartition. Jung's own fantasies and dreams give evidence to this.

Keywords: quaternity, self, transcendental, trinitarian, spirit, active imagination, circular distillation, complementation, integration.

Read the article here:
http://home7.swipnet.se/~w-73784/crucifixion.htm

Mats Winther