Author Topic: Hang-time (Dreams of Flying/Weightlessness)  (Read 18661 times)

smart_s

• Registered Members
Hang-time (Dreams of Flying/Weightlessness)
« on: May 03, 2007, 12:50:58 PM »
Over the last few years, I have had many dreams where I experience a feeling of weightlessness where I rise above the floor or surface and remain suspended.  At first, I would need a boost or a flapping of my arms to rise and fly, but now I can levitate just by thinking about it.

As I have done this more often in my dreams I've learned to fly through space and land and go back up easily.  One of my favorite things to do is a form of roller blading just above the surface where I go up and down staircases.   I can also remain suspended just above the surface and stay there.  As yet, I've not been able to do this in physical reality, but you never know.  Perhaps, they'll be more movies or TV shows where this is part of he show.

The feeling that I have while doing this in my dreams is the same feeling I used to have when I played pick-up games of basketball.  While I was in college, I play game after game of pick-up baskeball as a way of relieving tension.  I was not very good, but eventually became adept at jumping and getting rebounds.  As I got stronger, I was able to jump high and remain suspended for a micro-second longer than the others and grab the rebound. 

Later, while watching Michael Jordan in the NBA, I found that this was called hang-time.  Of course, I could never play basketball like Michael Jordan, but I could jump pretty good. 
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 03:07:13 PM by Matt Koeske »

Susanna

• Dream Work Vessel
Re: Hang-time
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 12:49:07 PM »
Hello smart_s,

This is fascinating. Sounds like an aspect of lucid dreaming where you control some action in your dream. Would you be interested in posting any of your 'hang-time' dreams? What effect does this dream control have when you immediately wake up? Do you feel a sense of waking relief, too? Do these dreams help you approach your waking life situations differently?

Susanna

Matt Koeske

• Management
    • Useless Science
Re: Hang-time
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 03:04:32 PM »
Hi smart_s,

Welcome to to forum!  I'm going to move your post to the Dream Theory forum next door (as it pertains to a dream theme and not an actual dream and the interpretation of or work with that dream . . . which is what the Dream Work forum is for).

Please do feel free to bring in specific dreams and associations if you would like to work on them.

Yours,
Matt
You can always come back, but you can’t come back all the way.

[Bob Dylan,"Mississippi]

Sealchan

• Registered Members
Re: Hang-time (Dreams of Flying/Weightlessness)
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2007, 04:13:24 PM »
I am very familiar with this just above the ground gliding from my own dreams.  One common theme for me associated with this was a sense of "Wow!  I can perform a miracle!" and i would often wake up with great satisfaction thinking that I can finally prove that I have this special power.  After a short while, as the drowsiness wears off, I realize that I was dreaming.  Yet, I was so certain....

Sealchan

• Registered Members
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 01:52:57 PM »
I believe that flying is symbolic of self-consciousness as a kind of spiritual substance separated from the earth.  This is a metaphor for self-consciousness not being tied to the physical realm.  Gravity is one of the first laws of physics to have been formulated and is iconic of physics in general and also represents our self-awareness of the physical world and our ability to seemingly defy it's laws with our technological inventions (such as airplanes).  For this reason I think it is a popular image used to indicate a dream state where one is relatively conscious.  I have certainly noticed a statistical connection between lucidity and dream flying. 

Other connected motifs for me on dream flying are 'opposites in tension' or 'connection' which create the energy for 'elevation'.  Fear and joy also seem to accompany the elevation gained from acts of flight.

When we contemplate this mysterious "substance" called "consciousness" or "awareness" against the rest of the physical world, we can see that there is something wholly different about consciousness and about ourselves as seemingly physical, yet non-physical, beings.

Mars

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 10:32:47 AM »
I have experience the same thing in my dreams. I also experienced a feeling of being underwater where it was difficult to move.