Author Topic: personality center  (Read 4456 times)

Sealchan

• Registered Members
personality center
« on: July 09, 2007, 04:18:29 PM »
personality center

This is the idea that our personalities are actually composed of a collection or collective of personalities of lesser differentiation but which collectively represent a multi-talented conglomerate.  There is sometimes a single leader.  Often there is no specific center except, perhaps, the dreamer.  I have not observed a complex hierarchy as exists in most human societies as of yet.   

This idea is largely inspired by Daniel Dennett’s Consciousness Explained where he proposed that the brain does not contain a homunculus so much as it contains many lesser homunculi, or points at which decisions are made.  It may be that in dreams a person is utilitized to represent a point of free will or decision, a perspective from which multiple choices can be made.  These points within the individual psyche are diverse and dispersed.  Decisions require a kind of socialized coordination of the various personality centers/points of decision.  Whichever personality center wins out in a kind of competition of neuronal influence (libidic connectivity) becomes the decision maker for the whole or is able to move in a way less oriented to the mass movement.

Sealchan

• Registered Members
Re: personality center
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 11:42:32 AM »
One analogy I have for how I understand what I mean when I say personality center is this...in our psyche there are a multitude of birthing points for complexes or personalities to originate.  Perhaps there are as many such centers of origin/focus or personality centers as there are stars in the night sky.  When those personality centers are coordinated then you get constellations aka complexes.  The ego, the shadow, the anima/us and other characters may be collections of these constellations.  Perhaps, the Self is the galaxy that all these stars revolve around. 

An interesting extension of this analogy...if one has a different star/personality center than someone else then the stars will be arranged differently in your "night sky" and so when someone else points and says, "Hey those stars look like a ____", you might not see quite what they are seeing.