Author Topic: Introduction to Dream Dictionary  (Read 3606 times)

Sealchan

• Registered Members
Introduction to Dream Dictionary
« on: July 10, 2007, 12:04:36 PM »
I asked Matt the Administrator of this web site to create this folder so I could complete a personal project of collecting my definitions together in one place.  But I hope that anyone else who enjoys writing or debating definitions pertaining to the interpretation of dreams will also use this same folder for the same purpose.  If you have a specific interpretation of dream content that seems like a good candidate for something universal then try it out here as a new topic.

As with any section of this site, please respond, question, debate these definitions.  Usually definitions have the character of known facts, and this is how I have written them for the most part.  The definitions I write are my main assumptions that I use when I interpret dreams.  They are based on Jungian ideas at least in part.  Most of these definitions are ones I've developed in the last year as I have been reading my own and others dreams and interpreting them. 

Where my definitions err (which I'm sure they do) they probably err on the side of subjectivity.  I usually have a pretty clear thought behind the definition, but its applicability to dreams may be limited.  But that is what I would like to know so that I can improve, change or discard those definitions that seem not to be valid or useful.

Maria

• Dream Work Vessel
Re: Introduction to Dream Dictionary
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 05:08:35 AM »
(Dear Sealchan,

I think that the idea of a dream dictionary is cool, because especially when a dream has strong emotional content, it is often difficult to see it as a (dynamic) language expressing something rather than signalling an upcoming catastrophe whatever. Or at least this is my personal experience, that the more intensely emotional (fear, anger, danger, etc) a dream is, the more difficult it is for me to distance myself from the actual events in the dream. For example, when I was at university, I had a dream in which my mother wanted to cut off my left arm. The atmosphere of the dream was that of panic, anger, frustration, feeling unprotected but fighting (most probably in vain).  The overall frustration I had in the dream stayed with me for days and I caused quite a few bad moments to people around me (and to my mother especially, who couldn't see why I was so offended when nothing happened).

And even though each dream is as unique as each dreamer, especially in these emotionally intense situations it is utterly helpful to have some clues. Because it is only when the tension lessens that we are able to start working on our own interpretation,  and it does help to "cool down" a bit when we see that our dream actually uses certain themes, structures and symbols, and the dream is thus a language rather than a "crisis" in itself.

Love,

Maria)
"Thou speak'st aright;
I am that merry wanderer of the night."

(Puck)